You must obtain permission to use displayed image(s) or document(s), from the owner(s) of the material.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
1940, 33 ft. Sedan Cruiser
The WHITE CAP is a 33 foot Richardson Sedan Cruiser built in 1940 by the Richardson Boat Company in North Tonawanda, NY. She is made of wood; the only time proven boat building material known to man. Her hull is made with white oak frames planked with cedar and fastened with Everdur bronze screws. Cabins are all mahogany with canvas covered tongue and groove cedar cabin tops. Original power was a Graymarine 6-121 96 horsepower that burned about two and a half gallons of gasoline per hour at cruising speed of about 8 knots. This was the first model to have crank up windows in the salon. She is listed as permanent registry no. 65 with the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton, NY and no. 1 in the Richardson Boat Owners Association Registry. According to fourth owner Bill Taylor this was the vessel that inspired him in the founding of the Richardson Boat Owners Association.
Owners of the WHITE CAP:
1940-1947 Frank W. Markovitz of North Tonawanda, NY
1947-1954 Frank Kenneth Springsteed of Kenmore, NY
1954-1965 J. Warford Cramer of North Tonawanda, NY
1965-1977 William A. Taylor of Fayetteville, NY
1977-2014 Don & Nancy Pakkala of Newfield, NY
2014 to present Howard & Leslie Kirkby of Iroquois, Ontario, Canada
In 1986 the original engine (Beaulah) was replaced with a 4 cylinder 70 horsepower Westerbeke diesel that uses about a gallon an hour of fuel at a cruising speed of about eight knots. At that time the trunk cabin dinette was converted to a full time double bunk and the starboard Pullman berth was removed and replaced with a nav table with seat and storage locker. No structural changes were made and all parts were saved so the boat could easily be changed back to the original configuration. Engine driven refrigeration, an additional 25 gallon water tank, hot water heater, 12 volt pressure water pump, and three burner Shipmate propane stove with overhead oven were also added.
Until 1988 when the present owners began taking her on extended cruises, the WHITE CAP spent her time on northern waters ranging from upstate New York to the St. Lawrence River, the Rideau Canal, Trent Severn Canal, Georgian Bay, Lake Champlain, Lake Ontario, Cayuga Lake and the Erie Canal. Since then she has been up and down the east coast a number of times via the Intracoastal Waterway between Canada and Florida, sometimes wintering at the owners dock in Whortonsville, North Carolina. Her home port is now Ithaca, NY. Since 1977 she has logged well over 25,000 miles without incident.